Monday, September 6, 2010

A Few Good...Marinades

Grilling season may be over soon, although, I know people that use their outdoor grill even when there is snow on the ground - it is truly hard to give up! But if you're like me...there is always the broiler, one of my favorite ways to cook.
I have in my repertoire a few good marinades - simple ingredients with lots of flavor. Remember it is best to use a non-reactive dish like plastic or glass.

Mix ingredients to taste - and inspire your own flavors by altering the ingredients to suit yourself.

#1
Soy Sauce
Toasted Sesame Oil
Minced Ginger
Minced Garlic, or Garlic Powder
Sesame Seeds
Sometimes I add a few splashes of hot sauce for an added kick
This marinade gives fantastic flavor for chicken, steaks and fish. Marinade for about 1 hour in plastic ziploc bag or glass dish in the refrigerator.

#2
Lemon Juice
Lemon Zest
Garlic, crushed
Olive Oil
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Cilantro, Oregano
Salt
Pepper
Allow the marinade to sit for an hour for the flavors to meld together. Marinade meat or chicken for an hour or two.

#3
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Orange Juice
Minced Garlic
Dried Oregano
Cumin or Chili Powder
Bay Leaf
Olive Oil
Salt
Sometimes I add a sprig of rosemary and omit the cumin and chili powder. The citrus and rosemary combination is wonderful!
Follow the same as above for marinading meat.

Notes on marinading: If you take an acid like citrus and add vegetable oil or olive oil and add flavors from there, you will have a fantastic marinade. I usually use about 1/3 cup of oil and the juicesof the whole lemon, etc. The more citrus/acid you add the more your meat will be tenderized. Taste the marinade before adding meat. I have left meat in marinades for 2 hours to 12 hours, and 12 hours was a bit too much, but a good soaking of 3 hours is probably the best if you have the time. Marinading meats is the way to go for grilling and broiling!

1 comment:

  1. Cold weather never slowed my Hubby down from grilling!
    I love marinading the meats we are going to grill!
    I will have to remember some of these for next time he wants to grill.
    I hear you on the Zucchini!
    Holy Cow,i run and hide when I see someone with that stuff.
    Why do people keep growing it???

    ReplyDelete