Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Dinner Garden - Inspiring Story

I'm a little late in getting this out but I found this great story about Holly Hirshberg in San Antonio, Texas. She started The Dinner Garden, an organization that sends free packets of seeds to families that will actually grow to feed a family of four. It brought to my attention something called food insecurity, which is something I've written about before but never had a name for it. It's when you have to pay your bills, and you pay them but you cut back on your food budget, which means you usually do not eat well. Her organization teaches people to grow their food and it in turn gives them peace of mind by having healthy food in abundance in their own back yards. I love that she she is teaching self-reliance and resourcefulness with growing a garden!

I love this story and plan to follow her inspiration and her website.

www.dinnergarden.org

No comments:

Post a Comment