Friday, December 2, 2011

Artisan Gingerbread House - Part 2

I've had my gingerbread pieces sitting around for a couple of days now. It does help to have them hard as a rock, they should not be fragile one bit. Last night I made meringue and piped small circles and snow drifts. I think meringue gives a pretty, elegant touch to the gingerbread house. You'll see! This recipe made a lot, but I plan on making more than one, and I have eaten some...hard not to.

5 large egg whites, at room temp
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

When making meringue, be sure that all of your utensils and bowl are clean, that is because egg whites are fragile and the slightest speck of dried food may ruin the meringue.
Heat oven to 200 degrees.
Separate your eggs first in small bowls or containers. Be careful not to have any yolk in the egg whites. Pour the whites into a mixing bowl and beat on high until they get frothy. Add sugar and cream of tartar. Beat to stiff peaks.
Use a pastry bag with a star tip or plain round tip, and pipe onto a prepared baking sheet. You should prepare your baking sheet with a quick spray of Pam or parchment paper. Pipe out shapes to your hearts content. I ended up using two half sheet pans and a cookie sheet for all of my pieces.
 Warning: Some of my larger pieces stuck to the parchment paper, so a quick once over with spray would be good. I ate my mistakes, like I always do. Part 3 is my favorite - Assembly!! Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment