Friday, December 16, 2011

Good Eating Habits

Once, back in the day, my girl-friend, Jeanine, and I were at work, talking about cheap lunches. For me it was PBJ or pasta leftovers. If worse came to worse, I had a cup-o-noodles in my desk drawer.
No, no, no, she told me. "I have the best cheap lunch and its healthy and you're full". Stressing the word full, I was there.
Take a cup of brown rice, sautee it in some olive oil until its lightly toasted.
Add some chopped onion and garlic, then add 2 cups chicken stock.
Cook as you would plain brown rice.
Get a can of black beans or pinto beans.
Put some rice in a container that you take to work. Put some beans on top and a little cheese, if you want. Pop this into the microwave at work and you've got a cheap, healthy and filling lunch. We were always looking for filling, because by the time 5 or 6 o'clock came around - after picking up your kids and finally getting  home, you'd be starving. Everyone would be starving at that point. Well, what happened to me, was that my PBJ became breakfast and the rice and beans were lunch. Along with my standard every-workday banana. In those days, I often had breakfast and lunch at work.
The point here is that with healthy, you get filling. If you eat whole grains and some beans and fruit, you get full. When you're working and away from home for 8, 9 or 10 hours a day and you have a child or children and a family to take care of, you need your strength.
I've learned a whole lot since then. I know for a fact that stress can ruin your eating habits, if you're not careful. That job we worked at was so stressful, I'd stop every night on my way home and get a pint of Ben & Jerry's and sit on the couch with my feet on the coffee table and stare at the tv while Jeanine and I would talk about the events of the day over the phone. Stress Foods we called them. She liked salty and crunchy - chips and salsa and a glass of wine. I liked sweets - ice cream and chocolate.
I let stress take over my whole life. And when we realized this, we, both of us, worked hard to get past the stress of work in our personal life. We started exercising, going on walks, eating healthy.
Don't let stress ruin you by eating your way through it. Take a long walk, refresh yourself. Get out and get some fresh air, then go home and have a healthy meal.
I started marinating meats overnight to broil and put over a salad...I Love this. Old Glory - my crockpot - was out on the counter and meats that were slow cooked and delicious were ready when we got home. Forethought helps to alleviate stress. And pretty soon...when you don't bring the office home with you, you start to taste the wonderful food again.

No comments:

Post a Comment