Sunday, November 18, 2012

Week 44 -- Thanksgiving Week

Week 44
11/18/12

Brown sugar 2lb 1.50
Pumpkin, can 1.50
Half and half 1.89
Avocado 1.99
Sweetened cond milk 1.99
Evaporated milk 1.19
Oats, bulk .58
Whipping cream 1.69
Milk 2.09
Mints .79
Tax .91
Total 16.12

Thanksgiving week! A short work week whoohoo! I was not completely sure what I was going to make so I got more than I needed. I'll be spending TG with family so I decided to make a pie. I wanted to make something that was really, really good. I'd heard of this pie - Crack Pie and have known it was an amazing pie. I'm making it, however, I don't like the name so I'm calling it Oatmeal Cookie Pie. It's super easy it just takes time. I made the oatmeal cookie for the crust and I had to make a second one. It's just this giant oatmeal cookie when it comes out of the oven. Ugh! I walked by it while I was cleaning and after about half an hour I was a goner. I ate most of it with coffee :) Delicious! Click on the link at the bottom of the page for the recipe for one pie. Tomorrow night I will make the pie filling so it has time to set.




I went overboard buying baking stuff but it's fine, it'll get used. I did not have to spend much on real food as I will be away for three days. I've got plenty. Last night I made quinoa and for some reason I remain cautious and curious about this grain at the same time. I don't like the smell when it is first cooked. I do not particularly like the look of it after its cooked. But I ate it just fine. It tastes fine. If you haven't tried it, buy a cupful in bulk and cook some. It cooks similar to rice.

I had a recipe for Roasted Cauliflower and Pasta. Instead of the pasta I had it with quinoa.
I roasted 1 head of cauliflower for 45 minutes with oil and salt and pepper. After it roasted, I tossed it with a little oil and red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon chopped capers and a handful of chopped raisins. This I mixed with cooked quinoa and sprinkled some parmesan on top. It was very delicious.

Quinoa is one of those grains like brown rice, bulgur, couscous or barley that you can keep cooked in your frig and toss it into different dishes. Like a soup, salad, eggs or add to sauteed vegetables - it's great for its nutritional value and texture and it's very filling.

Thanksgiving is this week. A time to give thanks for what we have received. The saying of grace has a captivating meaning. To be thankful is to be graceful. To take the time to honor and respect what we are thankful for is a very special tradition.
Have a wonderful and special time with family, friends and food!
~Julie

Crack Pie or Oatmeal Cookie Pie
http://www.bonappetempt.com/2010/09/crack-pie.html

No comments:

Post a Comment