Monday, February 27, 2012

Chocolate Cake...It's What's For Dinner

I admit, I am chocoholic. No doubt about it. I haven't had chocolate for a while and wasn't really thinking about it. Then all of a sudden today, I about lost it. I just wanted chocolate cake. I was thinking about it at work and not only made a mental note, but a total taste recollection of my homemade chocolate cake, and I was a goner. I've posted this recipe before, it's awesome and super easy. This time I poured the batter in my cast iron skillet - it's in the oven now! I love to bake in my cast iron skillet: cakes, brownies, pound cakes, bread - it bakes amazingly well. I've got some local country music station blasting and my house smells like chocolate! Holy Cow, what's happening here!
I don't have cream cheese, but let me tell you something, Sour Cream with a little sugar mixed in is a wonderful substitution to plop on top!
WHERE THE HECK IS MY FORK!!!!

Chocolate Cake For OneDry Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup boiling water

Wet Ingredients
1 egg
1/4 cup whole milk or vanilla yogurt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a small pan with cooking oil (or spray) and dust well with flour.

Mix all dry ingredients with a whisk in a medium sized bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup. Pour the boiling water into the dry ingredients and whisk. Pour in wet ingredients. Whisk for a few minutes. Mixture is very thin. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for approx. 15-20 minutes. Make sure you watch the cake after about 15 minutes, as my oven is a sad story, mine had to bake for 30.
NOTE: If you bake it in cast iron, get the skillet hot in the oven for about 10 minutes. You'll get a nice crust around the edge. If you like that sort of thing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment