Friday, February 3, 2012

What's Cookin'?

Last night I made a hearty White Bean and Kale Soup. It was delicious last night and even better the next day. I made it in the crockpot, adding ingredients throughout the afternoon - it was ready at about 7 last night. White beans, chopped onions, carrots, broth, a few handfuls of chopped kale and some spike seasoning and a pinch of red pepper flakes to give it a little zip. Mmmmm.

Today, I stopped by the Barkin' Basement, my favorite place for retail therapy around here. Found Caribbean Cookery by Winifred Grey. I'm always on the lookout for good old cookbooks, a few months ago, I found one by Amy Vanderbilt with illustrations by Andrew Warhol...Andy Warhol. I never  know what I'm going to find. This cookbook by Winifred Grey is of my grandmother's era; there's a recipe for Pastelles and Callaloo that are similar to what she made. I found a plain old recipe for Standard Muffins with a Bran Muffin variation listed at the end. I've been in the mood for bran muffins - good moist ones for a while and these are the ones. This is the recipe from Caribbean Cookery, and I have only added the addition of molasses. They are delicious!


1 1/4 cups flour
2/3 cup wheat bran
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/8 cup molasses
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk or water

Makes 12 muffins

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl. Beat the eggs and add the molasses, oil and water. Add liquid to dry ingredients. Stir with a spoon until dry ingredients are completely moistened. Fill greased muffin tins or paper cups 2/3 full. Bake about 15 minutes or until they spring slightly when touched. You can add 3/4 cup raisins for raisin bran muffins. Mmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment