Friday, May 27, 2011

Everyday Vanilla Cake

When I was growing up, my grandmother always had a cake on the kitchen counter. Most of the time it was left in the pan, and never frosted, except for the occasional dusting of powdered sugar or a light glaze. Some were made from scratch but mostly they'd be from a mix. Fruit or jam might get mixed in. My grandmother was not a big chocolate fan, so the cakes were almost always vanilla, or possibly a fruit flavor. I was always watching my weight so I perceived this as a threat to my well-being and lo and behold, I always had a piece. These days, I make a cake or brownie or loaf bread once a week or so. I have no problem eating the whole thing myself, not at once, over the course of the week. This little recipe I found on the Epicurious.com website. It is the recipe for a caramel cake, but I have omitted the glaze, which I have made and love. But for an Everyday Cake, this one is just perfect.

Vanilla Cake (Adapted from Epicurious Caramel Cake)
2 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, well shaken

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8 inch square pan with nonstick spray, set aside.

In a mixing bowl, with a whisk or electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing each one until thoroughly incorporated. Add buttermilk slowly, then vanilla, mixing thoroughly.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this mixture to the wet mixture in thirds, combining well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Be sure to test with a skewer to make sure it is fully baked.

This cake has a nice sturdy crumb, it could be made in a loaf pan, if you prefer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment