Sunday, May 1, 2011

Amp Up The Flavor


A couple of years ago, my son and I moved out of our condo after 7 1/2 years. Shortly after moving out, I had a dream that I had forgotten to pack all my spices. I told him about the dream and after unpacking my kitchen in the new place, realized in terror that I had forgotten a whole cupboard, my spices were left behind. I have prided myself on the spices I have collected and the ways I've used them. It's taken me quite a while to fill those old shoes. I think I've done well; I've gotten my oils, toasted sesame and chili oil. I've got my Chinese five spice, and my Spike and various vinegars back. Let's not forget my hot sauce collection - can't live without that. It takes time to collect. It is a loving thing when I can reach over to my lazy Susan and pull just what I need when I need it. In flavoring, a little goes a long way. The aromas change with just a pinch of this or a dash of that. Flavors combining to make a winning combination. Adding good flavor, well - not to over-season, changes the quality of the food. Bland, is just so premade, so store-bought tasting - we don't want to go down that road do we? Not with me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment