Monday, June 14, 2010

Chocolate Orange Decadence

I was really in the mood for pudding. And let me tell you something its a whole helluva lot easier, more economical and DECADENT to make your own. Please, do yourself a favor and never buy pudding mixes in those little boxes. It's one of the easiest things in the world to make from scratch.

Here's what I did:

I took 3 ounces of good semi-sweet chocolate (Scharffen Berger is the best)and melted it very slowly on low heat on the stove.
I added 2/3 cup sugar. Then added 1 cup milk and 1 cup half and half. I was lucky and happened to have on hand a vanilla bean, and used a bout half an inch, scraping the inside and throwing the remaining pod in for good measure. But you can use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Then I added 3 tablespoons cornstarch and whisked this together until it became thick and bubbly.
Continuing to whisk as I took it off the fire I added 1 teaspoon of ORANGE ANGOSTURA BITTERS.

Surprise, huh! I have previously blogged about the original bitters and love that but this is a new flavor they have and let me tell you something - Orange bitters rocks! Anytime you want an enhanced orange flavor or spicy citrus flavor try it.

I let the pudding get cold and then eat the best part - the 'skin' that forms on the top. My God what is better than that.

Cook. Eat. Inspire....Rock on.

1 comment: