Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Eggplant Heaven

I think I love eggplant for its deep, dark purple color.
I'm making Eggplant Parmigiana. Its very, very easy. I start with the sauce because I like to let it cook for a long time.
This is what I did:
For the sauce - 1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes, half a stick of butter, 6 cloves of garlic, 1 medium onion, chopped - put all ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour. After an hour using a blender or immersion blender, puree the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another half hour or so, longer is better. I always add a few splashes of hot sauce just for a little kick. The sauce can be cooked the day before or 2 days before and then reheated while you prepare the eggplant. It never hurts for flavors to sit around together for a day or 2 and get to know each other...better. :)

For the eggplant- Heat skillet with about 1 inch vegetable oil.
Slice the eggplant about 1/2 inch thick. Let Drain on a paper towel. (I like the skin, so I leave it on).
Whisk 2 eggs, for dipping in a dish.
Put 1cup flour in a dish, for dredging (season the flour with salt and pepper)

Have 1cup of grated mozzarella and 1/2 cup smoked mozzarella prepared. Toss together.
Also, 1/4 cup or so of grated parmesan cheese

Make sure the eggplant is dry and coat with egg mixture, then coat with flour. Fry about 3 minutes on each side; drain on a paper towel.
In a rectangular casserole dish, ladel just a bit of the sauce to coat the bottom. I like to overlap the eggplant slices in the dish. Ladel the remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle the cheeses over the top and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. I personally like the cheese to get a little dark - it's the best part. Smells Fantastic!!! Some bread for mopping up the sauce....

No comments:

Post a Comment