Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Take A Bite & Smile

"If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it." Andy Rooney

Last night I made a chicken and broccoli stir fry(teriyaki-ish) with garlic and crushed red pepper. It was a bit too spicy but it was really good and I ate every bite.

Today I went to my friend's daughters high school graduation. She had a family get-together after and there was plenty of homemade food and plenty of hands in the kitchen. It was awesome and I pretty much stuck to the homemade food, including the salsa which I was really impressed with, I had no problem sticking with my plan, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I always love my kitchen, as long as it is mine alone and visitors come to eat, help out and the go to their respective homes. I love to keep it organized; I love to keep it clean; I love to create things while listening to the hum of the refrigerator. I love to listen to music while I cook.
Yesterday when I was slicing the chicken breasts for my stir-fry the knife was dull so I reached for my sharpener and after several swirls it was sharp and worked beautifully again. Sharp knives in the kitchen are the most important tools to have. The more I learn about cooking the more goofy gadgets I give away and have finally pared it down to the bare essentials. I learned to bake bread so I do not need a breadmaker.

No, wait, I take that back; Your hands are the most important tools to have. Once I remember making a huge salad and pouring the dressing over it, and out of sheer impatience I tossed it with my hands. My grandmother was right there and said 'the best tools are your hands'.

Smile to yourself and use your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment